Photobucket

Friday, August 22, 2008

Jackson's Birth Announcement and story

I finally got Jackson's birth announcements done and mailed out a few days ago we did them ourselves. Which means we probably took around 100 pictures to get the 4 we liked best. Jackson has actually changed quite a bit since we took the pictures but I guess birth announcements should look more like he looked at birth so I went with these pictures.




In addition I realized that I had never posted Jackson's Birth Story this might be a little lengthy but here goes... On Saturday July 12th I did not feel very good and my blood pressure was getting pretty bad. My bottom number was usually between 105 and 110. Chad finally talked me into calling the dr and they told me to come on to Birmingham to be checked out. When we arrived they put me in triage, did some blood work and put me and Jackson on a monitor. I had still not dilated but was having contractions. Finally my blood work came back and my blood platelets were a little low (129) and one of my levels that indicates toxemia was getting close to being high. They decided to put us in a room and keep me overnight. This was not a good night to be at St Vincent's because they had to turn the air off for like 5 hours and it got hot (especially for a big pregnant woman). The next morning they drew blood at like 5 am (I had only went to sleep at 3 after the air came back on). The nurse came in at about 7:20 and said some of my levels are a little more bothersome and they are not going to let me have breakfast just in case. The doctor came in at 7:30 and said my blood platelets had went down even lower (112) and if they got below 100 I would not be able to be awake during delivery. Since they had dropped 17 points in 9 hours they did not feel that had a whole lot of time to wait. The Dr. said that we would be having a c-section. We asked what time and he said 9. OMG 9 as in 1 and 1/2 hours from now. Chad left to get some things from the car and to call his parents (who would not be able to get there within the allotted time. I called Mother and David and they headed towards the hospital. They began to do paperwork and prep me. It was kind of good that it was so quick because you do not have time to worry or get too nervous. Chad put on all his sterile stuff and we walked to the OR. They did my spinal and then Chad came into the room. Dr. Dan Hudson and Dr. Gunnells started the c-section at at 9:13 am Jackson was born. Chad watched most of the c-section (he does not gross out). I watched Chad because as long as I could see him I knew his eyes would tell me if there was a problem even if no words were spoken. Jackson began to scream (his lungs were great and he wanted us to know it)! Someone took Chad over to Jackson and then they brought him for me to see. It was a wonderful sight to see Chad hold Jackson for the 1st time. It made 38 weeks of a not so great pregnancy so worth it. Chad left with Jackson in his arms and headed to our hospital room. Soon after they rolled me to my room and we got to have some time just the 3 of us (well us and our 2 nurses). First, I nursed Jackson because I had read that children who nurse within the 1st hour they do better and he latched on like a pro. In addition, Chad had gotten Jackson and I some special gifts and he gave them to us. I got diamond earrings, a engravable silver picture frame and some Bama corkscrews for our future celebrations. Jackson got a soft stuffed elephant. I got Chad a digital picture frame and a football that we can put Jackson's hand and foot prints on for putting up with me for those 38 weeks. We finally let the grandparents in and then the chaos known as our life began.

No comments: